Sunday, November 22, 2009

Movie Review-2012


It has been awhile since I reviewed any movies, so this means there will be a few reviews put up in next few days. 2012 is written and directed by the father of the disaster genre Roland Emmerich (Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow). I wanted to see this film because Roland has mentioned that this will be his last disaster film and go out with a bang. He did not disappoint me. I am a fan of Roland's films such as Independence Day, Stargate, The Day After Tomorrow, and Godzilla and hoped he would redeem himself from what I think was a fluke 10,000 B.C. The film centers around the end of the world scenario of 2012 hence the title. This whole end of the world talk doesn't really scare me, but this film kind a makes me think. The movie centers around different characters throughout the entire film, which adds to the feeling of how its a disaster film and not only affecting a single group of people, but can give no feelings towards certain characters. I would say that Jackson Curtis (John Cusack) and his family are the main characters as they are in almost the entire film interacting with the other characters. The only thing that bothers me with Jackson Curtis is the originality of his name. The name is just Curtis Jackson (50 Cent) backwards, I mean come on get some original generic name even if is supposed to be funny. The thing I love about the movie are the spectacular special effects and variety of characters. The effects are amazing with the destruction of cities and the whole world. The suspense created during the destruction scenes with special effects is very affective. Hardly anything looked very fake, but very real. The Physics of the molten fireballs falling hitting the ground were so much better than the other special effects film this year when the autobots hit the ground in Transformers 2. That said the only real problem was the scientific inaccuracies and a sloppy script. Those faults are made up with yes I will say it, the effects. I will admit that this script has more heart put into it than other disaster films. The main point of the movie to me, is there will always be the selfish people out there even during total chaos, but there is people that will help others in the face of danger. I recommend that you see this movie in a theaters and not first on your home television. It will only really be worth seeing there for full effect of the film. I give 2012 an 79 out of 100.



Benjamin Myers
PSN ID and Gamertag: fusionman15

No comments:

Post a Comment