Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Movie Review

"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World proves that there is still some originality left in filmmaking and is one of the best films of the year."

DIRECTOR: Edgar Wright

CAST: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Brandon Routh, Jason Schwartzman, Anna Kendrick, Mae Whitman and Mark Webber

PLOT: In Toronto, 22-year-old Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) is the bass guitarist for the band Sex Bob-omb and has just met the girl of his dreams, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Scott learns that he must battle Ramona's seven evil exes, who are coming to kill him, to finally win Ramona's heart. As Scott gets closer to Ramona, his encounters include skateboarders, vegan rock stars, and identical twins.

REVIEW

 I never read the graphic novels because I am not really into eastern art style comics. I'm more of Marvel or DC fan, but I am very willing to read comics with that art style now that I've seen this movie.

The best part of this movie is how the film plays out like levels in a video-game and get more epic as it goes along. The movie starts out being more like a comedy and not much action then out of nowhere comes awesome action. At that moment with the action, I realized that this movie pulled off something that many filmmakers have tried to achieve and failed, that something is letting the plot involve romance, action and comedy in 2 hours or less and not mess it up. I have to give a hand to director Edgar Wright for pulling that one off.

The script was written with very quirky one-liners and dialogue in general. I think most High School and College students will appreciate the humor and reference to video games, but older folks will think they are pointless and not as funny. Although, the battle scenes will most likely be the part that older people like because they are flashy, fast paced, super colorful and epic. So, saying that about the battles will show that it will be liked by little 12 year old kids too.

Video game references have never been, well referenced as much as they are in this movie. If you are a fan of the 8-bit era then you will love some of the gags, for example, an 8-bit version of the universal Logo and song was in the beginning and then again later with the introduction of Lucas Lee. Another cool game related thing is when the bad guys get killed they turn into coins, I really thought that was awesome.

The romantic side of the film has to be a strong point in the movie because it goes in directions you wouldn't really expect and that was pretty original. I am a huge fan of Mary Elizabeth Winstead and I loved her character's mysterious past and personality in general. The ending was starting to go in a direction I never even thought it would, but ended up the way I knew it would end up going.

ACTING: As I said before I am a huge fan of Mary Elizabeth Winstead and she was perfect for the part of Ramona Flowers. She has that mysterious look and you know she doesn't want to take crap from anybody. I really liked her character and she was the best in my mind.

On the other hand you have the same awkward looking Michael Cera and he plays a similar character to many of his past films, but that would be a little expected. Nobody would really ever think of Michael acting any different and it works for him and for me in most of his films. Michael Cera was the obvious choice for Scott Pilgrim and the only person I could think of too.

There was some sparks between Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, which is really hard to find in movies in todays world.

The rest of the cast is just as good as them and I was so glad to see some actors have longer roles than I thought they would, for example Brandon Routh was just awesome and had a pretty long role, along with Jason Schwartzman.

PERSONAL NOTE: I really want to personally thank Edgar Wright for giving these amazing actors a role in this awesome movie and he made older video-games cool again. Also, I really was surprised with the absolutely spectacular cameo of my favorite actor and I won't give the surprise cameo away, but I had a "Nerdgasm" when he came on-screen. I am a huge fan of his comic-book movie.

FINAL THOUGHT: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is as the poster says "An epic of epic epicness." If you love video-games and the over-the-top battle scenes then you will love this movie. The acting is great with an amazing cast and never feels boring. The film is filled with many things not seen on film very often and is eye candy from the colors to the cool "sound clouds" when noises are made.

You may not like this movie if your of the older generation, but it would be the worst movie you have seen and if your in High School or College then this film is right up your alley.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

A

Benjamin Myers
PSN ID and Gamertag: fusionman15
Email: benMyers92@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment