Sunday, October 18, 2009

Paranormal Activity Review

Paranormal Activity is a Mockumentary-Horror film, similar to The Blair Witch Project and the TV show Ghost Hunters. This is a low budget film of only around $11,000 by first time director Oren Peli. Filmed in one week, with two nobody actors, Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat. I went into this movie thinking it would be a knockoff of The Blair Witch Project and would be stupid. I was really wrong. This film starts out a little slow for most movie goers, but gets to the good stuff pretty fast. We see them documenting their daily life with an HD camera trying to catch proof that there is paranormal activity in their home. They place the camera on a tripod in their bedroom to see what goes on while the two are sleeping. The first few nights nothing really happens, except noise and sound of walking. Then, after that, it seems like they made the "Entity" mad. Every night gets worse and makes the audience get really jumpy. The movie ending does not let you down. I have heard there is multiple endings and the one in theaters was suggested by Acclaimed Director, Steven Spielberg. The story goes, Steven watched this movie and stopped halfway through it because it scared him. I love the ending also. There is so many things I love about this film and so few things I don't like. I love that you never see the "Entity" through out the whole film. I love how they didn't film it traditional style or all shaky cam like other Horror-mockumentaries. They film it like Ghost Hunters. This adds to the suspense of the film in whole. The acting is astounding for "nobody" actors. Katie is great and believable at being scarred and that added to me getting scarred. Also, Micah is great at being the smart ass, stubborn boyfriend to Katie. He mostly thinks of it as a joke for awhile. He then becomes a loving boyfriend that wants to help Katie and becomes a man, not an immature person. The effects in this film are practical, yet very effective. The practical effects are probably the scariest thing in the film. The thing I love most about the movie is how it leaves the things going on to your imagination. I walked out of the theater a little unnerved and thinking how will I sleep tonight. This is a great movie to see in theaters with a crowd, because it is funny to see how people react to it. I can't wait to watch this film in my room, alone one night and get scared out of my mind. The hype around this movie wasn't lying, it is one of the most, if not the most scary movie I have ever seen. I love this movie so much, I give it a 95 out of 100.

Benjamin Myers
PSN ID and Gamertag: fusionman15

No comments:

Post a Comment