Sunday, March 21, 2010

Alice In Wonderland Review

I know it's a little late for a review on this movie, but I need to do at least a quick review.

Alice in Wonderland is good "Burton" from beginning until the pointless last half.

The movie started out very promising and held up with good acting from stars such as Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, Anne Hathaway, and Matt Lucas. The person that surprised me as being great was the main star Mia Wasikowska. She was believable at being a non girlie and odd young woman. I will say that Johnny Depp was perfect for Mad Hatter, but he ended up coming off as a slight scottish version of Jack Sparrow sometimes. That bothered me just a bit.

The story is intriguing because it isn't a remake or sequel according to Tim Burton. I think it's actually a mixture of both because it has some borrowed from the book and added some new scenes that added  emotional attachment to characters such as Alice and the Mad Hatter.

The direction Burton was going for is along the lines of his previous films, but maybe to much cgi for his taste. The 3D aspect of the film is lackluster at best and I would suggest that for this film it doesn't matter if you see it in 3D or not. The cgi was actually not bad and felt like who ever did the character and wonderland designs was tripping on acid. I mean just look at the world in the poster, it just looks like a Burton flick. The designs are very original and brilliantly colorful. I have to give a hand to them for that.

The movie just took a turn for worse close to the third act because the battle sequence felt like numerous other cg battles from average action films. It felt like they just added the scene to fill up time and could have done so much more during that part. Also, there was a utterly pointless, but entertaining dance number by the Mad Hatter. That just felt out of place.

I give Alice In Wonderland a

B-  

Benjamin Myers
PSN ID and Gamertag: fusionman15

I will do reviews on She's Out Of My League and Repo Men this week and maybe the return of Random Movie Review

No comments:

Post a Comment